Fencing Coach (Sport & Exercise Department) – Maternity Cover
Highgate School - Highgate, North London
This vacancy has expired.
Sport and Exercise (SpEx)
SpEx is a pupil-centred programme which unlocks potential by exposing individuals to experiences and opportunities which guide them towards an outcome that they are invested in. Key to this is the unique way in which Sport and Exercise interact in each part of the programme. Specialist teachers and coaches are used to deliver SpEx at every stage, and implement a curriculum which challenges every pupil.
Highgate has a long tradition of sporting success on which we wish to build. Excellent links are already established with local sports clubs, Haringey Borough and Middlesex County, and keenly contested House competitions are held in many sports, providing additional competitive opportunities for a significant number of pupils. SpEx tours take place annually with Seniors visiting (Barbados/Atlanta), and Middle School pupils travelling to (Jersey/Barcelona) and Year 8s travelling to Holland for Hockey and Football.
Thirty two full and part-time SpEx staff are supported by over thirty teachers in delivering the SpEx programme. The department is based around the well-equipped Mallinson Sports Centre (MSC). It is adjacent to the playing fields, near the Junior and Pre-Preparatory schools and within a few minutes’ walk of the Senior school. The Centre comprises a large sports hall, cardiovascular training and weights room, swimming pool and mezzanine hall which contains the Fencing Salle. In addition, there is a dance and movement studio, squash and eight Eton fives courts. The Centre manager and staff provide a significant programme of community use; they also support pupils’ activities within the Centre and provide administrative assistance. The school also has twenty acres of playing fields, including an all-weather pitch, which can accommodate ten netball courts, a full-size hockey pitch, or twelve tennis courts. Additionally there is multi-use games area which provides six cricket nets, three tennis courts, two netball courts, and a hockey training facility.
- Coaching as per agreed hours. The successful candidate will be proficient in the skills, techniques and tactics appropriate to the activity, age and experience of the pupils
- Working within curricular time the candidate would be able to: plan and lead session within a framework of a progressive programme; track pupil progress and liaise with the Directors of Sport and Exercise to ensure the highest standard of coaching is met
- A basic grounding in Health and Safety procedures, risk assessments and codes of conduct for pupils while taking part in the activity itself
- Caring for Fencing equipment and kit and organisation of the Fencing store cupboards
- Supervising students during changing and dispersal after the lesson, ensuring good behaviour and safe conduct
- Liaising with the Head of Senior School Sport, Lead Fencing Coach and other Teaching Staff and Coaches
- Contributing to the development of coaching plans appropriate to the activity, age and experience of the pupils
- Participate in and contribute to INSET training for staff as required
- Carry out such other duties within the post holder’s capabilities as may be reasonably requested from time to time
You can find the latest vacancies on our search page.Find a different job
This vacancy has expired.