EAL Teaching Assistant
Nova Education Trust - Nottinghamshire
This vacancy has expired.
Reports to: SENDCO
We are looking for a talented and committed individual to join our Learning Support Department. The core purpose of the role is to work with pupils who have English as an additional language in order to promote their inclusion and to provide support for teaching and personalised learning.
Supporting EAL pupils personalised learning
Provide teaching support to allocated pupils by planning teaching with the class teacher to achieve progression of learning through:
- Offering specific language focused interventions
- Planning, delivering and assessing small groups
- Support pupils learning of English as an additional language, tailoring support to match the learner’s needs.
- To support pupils to become independent, co-operative and collaborative learners.
- Contribute to assessing pupils progress and support them in reviewing their learning.
- Identify and remove barriers to pupils learning.
- Adapt and customise materials.
- Identifying clear learning objectives and determining how they will be supported and assessed.
- Assisting in the setting of tasks which challenge pupils and ensure high levels of interest.
- Setting clear targets, building on prior attainment
- Provide clear structures for lesson support maintaining pace, motivation and challenge;
- Ensure effective support and best use of available time;
- Monitor and intervene to ensure sound learning and discipline;
- Use a variety of supporting methods to:
- match approach to content, structure information, present a set of key ideas and use appropriate vocabulary
- use effective questioning, listen carefully to pupils, give attention to errors and misconceptions
- select appropriate learning resources and develop study skills through library, I.C.T and other sources;
- Ensure effective support so that pupils acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to the subject taught;
- Evaluate their own support methodology critically to improve effectiveness;
- Promote good behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behavior.
- Work under the guidance of teaching/senior staff and within an agreed system of supervision, to implement agreed work programmes with individuals/groups, in or out of the classroom. This could include those requiring detailed and specialist knowledge in particular areas and will involve assisting the teacher in the whole planning cycle and the management/preparation of resources.
- Staff may also supervise whole classes occasionally during the short-term absence of teachers. The primary focus will be to maintain good order and to keep pupils on task. The Learning Support Assistant will need to respond to questions and generally assist pupils to undertake set activities.
- Assist with the supervision of EAL pupils out of lesson times, at lunchtime and break times and support children with interventions before and after school as appropriate.
- Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities as required and take responsibility for a group under the supervision of the teacher
- Help administer and supervise examinations when required
Support the pupil by:
- Support the learning and emotional well-being of EAL pupils in the KS4 provision and beyond.
- Contribute to the management of EAL pupil’s behavior and encourage the pupil to conform to the School’s expectations.
- Support pupils with EAL to access extended school activities.
- Undertaking the activities with either individuals or groups of children to ensure their safety and facilitate their physical, emotional and educational development;
- Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned;
- Encouraging acceptance and inclusion of the child with special needs;
- Promoting and reinforcing the child’s self-esteem;
- Assisting with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and Personal Care programmes;
- Providing feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under guidance of the teacher.
Support the Teacher by:
- Promote EAL pupil’s well-being and resilience.
- Safeguard the welfare of EAL pupils.
- Supporting teaching staff in the carrying out of home visits;
- Assisting the teaching staff in the smooth transition of EAL pupils between educational phases;
Monitoring, assessment, recording, reporting – to:
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of learning support;
- Monitor pupils’ work and set targets for progress;
- Assess and record pupils progress systematically and keep records to check work is understood and completed, monitor strengths and weaknesses, inform planning and recognise the level at which the pupil is achieving;
- Prepare and present informative reports to parents;
Other professional requirements – to:
- Have a working knowledge of teaching assistants’ professional duties and legal liabilities
- Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school
- Establish effective working relationships and set a good example through their presentation and personal and professional conduct
- Being aware of confidential issues linked to home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidences as appropriate;
- Endeavour to give every child the opportunity to reach their potential and meet high expectations
- Contribute to the corporate life of the school through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary to coordinate the management of the school
- Take responsibility for their own professional development and duties in relation to school policies and practices
- Prepare, maintain and use equipment/resources required to meet the lesson plans/relevant learning activity and assist pupils in their use
- Liaise effectively with parents/carers and governors
- Take on any additional responsibilities which might from time to time be determined
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
You can find the latest vacancies on our search page.Find a different job
This vacancy has expired.